For the first time, Forbes has analyzed the earning power of podcasts.
Podcasts have enjoyed of great popularity in the United States.
According to Statista, in 2006, only 22% of the adult population in the United States was aware of this term, but this figure rose to 70% in 2019. Just last year, there were an estimated 86 million podcast listeners in the U.S., a number which is forecast to grow to around 132 million by 2022.
- The Joe Rogan Experience, launched in 2009, is the No. 1 podcast in the world, according to Apple, and has claimed as many as 190 million downloads per month.
- The true-crime podcast My Favorite Murder generated $15 million last year for its two hosts Karen Kilgariff & Georgia Hardstark.
- The Dave Ramsey Show gives no-nonsense personal finance lessons and budgeting tools to over 13 million weekly listeners, bringing in $10 million annually, according to Forbes estimates.
- Dax Shepard and his Armchair Expert has amassed an estimated monthly audience of 20 million since the 2018 launch of his talk-show podcast, collecting $9 million annually.
- The Bill Simmons Podcast has been in Apple’s top 25 for the past two years. The flagship program raked in some $7 million last year.